Certification by the BC Ministry of Children and Family Development provides students with a basic foundation of the knowledge and skills needed to work in early childhood educational settings.
Graduates from this program can work as Early Childhood Educators or Assistants once they apply for and are granted a certificate from the ECE Registry in the Ministry of Children and Family Development.
The first cohort in this program will begin in September 2018. Members of this cohort will follow a standard course schedule over 32 months.
Please Note: The BC ECE Basic certificate is specific to ECED professionals practicing in the province of British Columbia only, and may not meet inter-provincial or international requirements. It is up to the individual to contact the specific Early Childhood Education credentialing body in the location where they wish to work to determine if this program meets their needs.
39 credits (13 courses) of prescribed online courses and 9 credits of on-site practicum (48 credits total). Most practica will take place in the lower mainland. Once students are admitted, they can discuss with their advisor the potential for a rural or non-lower mainland practicum. The program will take approximately 32 months to complete.
The ECE Basic Certificate requires that you take the following courses
- ECED 400 - Introduction to Early Childhood Education and Care
- ECED 401 - Supporting Young Children's Health and Well-Being in Early Childhood Settings
- ECED 405 - Foundations of Curriculum and Instruction in Early Childhood Education
- ECED 406 - Early Learning Curriculum in the Pre-School Years
- ECED 407 - Supporting Early Learning in the Pre-School Years
- ECED 420 - History of Early Childhood Education
- ECED 421 - Supporting Young Children Through Home, School, and Community Relationships
- ECED 438 - Observation and Documentation in Early Childhood Settings
- ECED 439 - Assessment of Infants and Young Children with Special Needs
- ECED 442 - Supporting Indigenous Infants and Young Children within the Context of Their Communities
- EPSE 348 - Family-Centred Practice for Children with Special Needs
- EPSE 406 - Typical and Atypical Development in Infants and Children
- LLED 441 - Introduction to Teaching Children's Literature
- ECED 490 - Early Childhood Education Practicum & Seminar I
- ECED 491 - Early Childhood Education Practicum & Seminar II
- ECED 495 - Early Childhood Education Practicum & Seminar III
|Sept - Dec 2018||Jan - Apr 2019||May - Aug 2019|
|ECED 400||ECED 401||ECED 421|
|EPSE 406||ECED 407||ECED 438|
|Sept - Dec 2019||Jan - Apr 2020||May - Aug 2020|
|ECED 405||ECED 442||ECED 420|
|ECED 406||EPSE 348||LLED 441|
|Practicum ECED 490 (190 hours)||no practicum|
|Sept - Dec 2020||Jan - Apr 2021|
|Practicum 491 (140 hours)||Practicum 495 (195 hours)|
Tuition for courses applied towards a certificate is charged on a per-credit basis (all courses in the program are 3 credits).
Current tuition fees are found in the UBC Calendar: Post-baccalaureate Tuition. The information below is provided as an example, is subject to change, and only information on the UBC Calendar is official.
|Program||Domestic per-credit rate (Undergraduate-level courses)||International per-credit rate|
All student fees will be assessed as noted in Student Fees.