Application Process for the BC ECE Basic Certificate Program
For information or assistance with admissions, please contact us with details about your question. If you are a current or past UBC student, please include your UBC student number.
STEP 1: Confirm You Meet UBC’s English Language Proficiency Requirements
English Language Proficiency Requirements
English is the primary language of instruction at UBC. All prospective students, regardless of country of origin or citizenship status, are required to demonstrate a minimum level of English before they are admitted. This requirement can be met in several ways:
- Have completed at least four years of secondary or post-secondary studies in English, or
- Completed an undergraduate or graduate level degree at a recognized university where English is the primary language of instruction, or
- Completed six credits of post-secondary English courses at a recognized university where English is the primary language of instruction, or
- Taken either an IELTS Academic or TOEFL English assessment test and met the UBC required scores (see this webpage for minimum scores and other accepted language tests).
If you have any questions about how to meet the English requirement, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
STEP 2: Apply Online
Applicants should review the form and have all required information and documents ready to submit at the time of completion. If additional time is needed, applicants may elect to save entries and continue the form at a later date by selecting ‘Save & Continue Later’ at the bottom of form.
- Upon submission, you will receive an email from UBC acknowledging receipt of your application and requesting any required supplementary documentation (see below). If you do not receive a confirmation email, please check your junk or spam folder for an email message from email@example.com.
- Please monitor your email, as this is the method UBC will communicate with students and applicants. Please include your UBC student number in all communications once it has been assigned.
Letters of Reference
- Applicants applying based on work experience with young children in a formal group setting (e.g., licensed childcare centre, pre-school, after school care, community centre, etc.) who do NOT have third-year standing from an accredited post-secondary institution (i.e., completed your 2nd year in, or graduated from, a 4-year degree), will be asked to provide two (2) letters of reference that support your work/volunteer experience statement. One must be from a professional reference who can speak to the ECE experience you have indicated on your application. One may be from a personal reference such as a colleague, neighbour, etc. (not immediate family) who can speak to the skills and/or assets you would bring to this program.
- Applicants must provide an official transcript for every post-secondary institution they have attended. UBC transcripts are not required.
- To be considered official, academic records must be received in official university envelopes, sealed and endorsed by the issuing institution.
- Transcripts should be sent to:
Professional Development & Community Engagement Office
Faculty of Education
University of British Columbia
1304 – 2125 Main Mall
Vancouver, BC Canada V6T 1Z4